[DOC-SIG] Postscript vs. PDF

John Mitchell johnm@magnet.com
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:13:21 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> BTW I believe that in order to create PDF one normally needs to buy an
> Adobe program.  Is there a free alternative?

Yes and no.  GNU Ghostscript(*) includes a "ps2pdf".  Alas, if the
PostScript font used is unknown, each character is rendered seperately (!)
and pasted together into the PDF version.

That is, the output tends to look terrible.  Perhaps dorking with the 'gs'
settings would produce better results -- I only gave it the once-over.

- j

*: Ghostscript 5.03 info is at:
	http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/