[Distutils] Fwd: The state of PyPI

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Sep 27 15:00:57 CEST 2011

On 09/27/2011 02:51 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Wichert Akkerman<wichert at wiggy.net>  wrote:
> ..
>>> I understand where you're coming from but, ..
>>> I think it's saner to rely on proven technology
>>> than to invent our own protocol. NIH?
>> This also feels like a problem that has already been solved in various ways
>> by Debian, RedHat, CPAN and others.
> Yes, and we've found a way similar to CPAN, with some Python specifics
> (PyPI download statistics mainly)
>
> Oh my, we're cycling again.
>
> Nothing personal to you or Jim, but I have a sudden fatigue on
> packaging because it seems like people are ignoring what's being done
> to complain afterwards about us suffering of some kind of NIH :)

It's just that my perspective is that of a simple user. And from my
perspective nothing has changed in the last couple of years. Pypi still
goes down occasionally, and when that happens many things start
breaking. It may very well be that there are things planned or in
progress, but until they are both usable and used by standard tools,
which for me means buildout and setuptools, they are invisible.

Wichert.