[Distutils] Fwd: The state of PyPI

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 14:51:12 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
..

>> I understand where you're coming from but, ..
>> I think it's saner to rely on proven technology
>> than to invent our own protocol. NIH?
>
> This also feels like a problem that has already been solved in various ways
> by Debian, RedHat, CPAN and others.

Yes, and we've found a way similar to CPAN, with some Python specifics
(PyPI download statistics mainly)

Oh my, we're cycling again.

Nothing personal to you or Jim, but I have a sudden fatigue on
packaging because it seems like people are ignoring what's being done
to complain afterwards about us suffering of some kind of NIH :)

If you're seeing anything you don't like in PEP  381 (accepted a while
ago), go ahead and propose some improvements.

But please keep in mind that we've looked at other systems before we
wrote that PEP.

Cheers
Tarek

--