[Distutils] Fwd: The state of PyPI

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 15:07:53 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> On 09/27/2011 02:51 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Wichert Akkerman<wichert at wiggy.net>
>>  wrote:
>> ..

>>> This also feels like a problem that has already been solved in various
>>> ways
>>> by Debian, RedHat, CPAN and others.
>>
>> Yes, and we've found a way similar to CPAN, with some Python specifics
>> (PyPI download statistics mainly)
>>
>> Oh my, we're cycling again.
>>
>> Nothing personal to you or Jim, but I have a sudden fatigue on
>> packaging because it seems like people are ignoring what's being done
>> to complain afterwards about us suffering of some kind of NIH :)
>
> It's just that my perspective is that of a simple user. And from my
> perspective nothing has changed in the last couple of years. Pypi still goes
> down occasionally, and when that happens many things start breaking. It may
> very well be that there are things planned or in progress, but until they
> are both usable and used by standard tools, which for me means buildout and
> setuptools, they are invisible.

Fair enough,

Pip has now the mirroring protocol implemented. I think they want to
make it a default option for the next major Pip release. IOW, you
should not suffer for downtimes using pip.

We'd need to add the same feature in easy_install and zc.buildout.
But since Pip did it, I think it's possible.

We have 5 mirrors run by the community
(http://pypi.python.org/mirrors) and I suspect porting pip's feature
to zc.buildout and easy_install would take less time than creating a
<Name your cloud service> app.

Cheers
Tarek

--