[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 16:52:00 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:13 PM, David Cournapeau <
david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Matthias Klose wrote:
> > Your paper gives a nice overview of the shortcomings of each of the
> > build/distribution systems. From an (os) distributors point of view I
> > would add som things (also posted in [1]). [snip]
> >

> I think it would be worthwhile to have one location to put those
> requirements. IMHO, taking into account OS packagers (Linux and other)
> in the development of a package tool for python is essential.
>
> Tarek, what is the best place to put this ? Somewhere on launchpad ? Or
> somewhere else ?
>
> cheers,
>
> David

I think the best place would be in python.org wiki itself,

As Jeff Rush mentioned earlier, the best way to think about all requirements
would be to write
a series of PEP.

So I think this would be a great starting point in Python.org wiki,

I am preparing write now a few pages so we can gather all the info, i'll
give you the link when it is ready

Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org
Blog FR | http://programmation-python.org