[Distutils] "Python Package Management Sucks"

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:01:23 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:13 PM, David Cournapeau <
> david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> Matthias Klose wrote:
>> > Your paper gives a nice overview of the shortcomings of each of the
>> > build/distribution systems. From an (os) distributors point of view I
>> > would add som things (also posted in [1]). [snip]
>> >

>> I think it would be worthwhile to have one location to put those
>> requirements. IMHO, taking into account OS packagers (Linux and other)
>> in the development of a package tool for python is essential.
>>
>> Tarek, what is the best place to put this ? Somewhere on launchpad ? Or
>> somewhere else ?
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> David
>

> I think the best place would be in python.org wiki itself,
>
> As Jeff Rush mentioned earlier, the best way to think about all
> requirements would be to write
> a series of PEP.
>
> So I think this would be a great starting point in Python.org wiki,
>
> I am preparing write now a few pages so we can gather all the info, i'll
> give you the link when it is ready
>
> Tarek

Alright, I have just started it here: http://wiki.python.org/moin/Distribute

I guess we can gather all documentation there. On my side I will write down
a wrapup on what has been said,
and what various people are expecting from such a project, and how it can be
organized, etc.

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | Association AfPy | www.afpy.org