[C++-sig] Boost.Python.function.__signatures__

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 01:16:29 CEST 2005

--- Ult Mundane <ult at mundane.org> wrote:

> Ralf,
>
> I'm using your function signatures patch, thank you very
> much, it is excellent and a huge timesaver for documenting
> exported C++ interfaces.
>
> I wonder if you've made any updates since you posted it last
> month. Is your patch checked into CVS somewhere?

No, sorry, several things:

- I was waiting for the boost release (done now, but...)

- I am on the road now for three weeks (and this silly wireless keeps knocking
me off the network...)

- Nikolay Mladenov was working on a more sophisticated version:
  Nikolay, are you still working on this? Do you have an ETA?

> I'm looking into making two changes:
>
> 1. At the moment, parameters which are classes exported to
> Python are reported with their C++ names, not their Python
> names (i.e., if you export the class with a different name,
> the docstring doesn't match the name you use in Python).
> Glancing over the Boost.Python code, this is over my head at
> the moment; is this something that seems reasonable/doable
> to you?

This was on Nikolay's list, I believe. I am not sure though I like it. One the
one hand the signatures with the full C++ types tend to be long, on the other
hand they are precise. I don't know how to best resolve this.