[C++-sig] Re: Outstanding Jobs for v2 release

Dave Hawkes daveh at cadlink.com
Wed Jul 3 20:34:41 CEST 2002

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams at rcn.com> wrote in message
news:1a7901c222bb$c82bfd30$6501a8c0 at boostconsulting.com...

> At least some of the builtin functions need to be implemented. For
example,
> len(). So far I have Dave Hawkes as having volunteered for this job. Dave,
> please confirm.

I'll try and get this completed over the next couple of weeks, together with
some of the other items I've been working on.

> ------
>
> Replace handle<> by object in as many public interfaces as possible.
>
> It may not be possible, but I hope to be able to avoid documenting
> handle<>, upcast<>, downcast<>, base_type_traits<>, borrowed, allow_null,
> refcount. for the v2 release this way. The less documentation needed, the
> sooner v2 can be released and the less confusing everything will be.

Currently there is no direct way to create a handle<> from an object, should
this be implemented?

> ------
>
> Some publicly-accessible facility for from_python conversion. See
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/c++-sig/1265634
>
> I guess we are leaning towards using an extractor<> class at this point.
>
> -----
>
> Re-work the module interface using the work of Dave Hawkes so no module
> objects need to be declared unless you're creating a submodule.

I've been using this code for a while now, and merging with successive
changes (that's why I noticed the object problem). If the basic structure is
now stable I'll do a final tidy up and submit what I have.

> Documentation for already-implemented components:
>
>     object.hpp
>     list.hpp
>     long.hpp
>     pointee.hpp
>     Overview (Tutorial)
>     Configuration (Building)
>     Rationale (?)
>     Bibliography
>     Acknowledgements
>     (optional) Overview of internals (Thanks Martin and Joel!)

I have a small embedding example that I've been working on occasionally
which provides solutions for some of the (embedding) implementation
questions that often arise, such as how to self import, multiple built-in
boost modules in one executable, etc.

Dave Hawkes