[C++-sig] Re: Outstanding Jobs for v2 release

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Wed Jul 3 20:52:19 CEST 2002

From: "Dave Hawkes" <daveh at cadlink.com>
> "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams at rcn.com> wrote in message
> >
> > At least some of the builtin functions need to be implemented. For
> example,
> > len(). So far I have Dave Hawkes as having volunteered for this job.
Dave,
> > please confirm.
> >

> I'll try and get this completed over the next couple of weeks, together
with
> some of the other items I've been working on.

Thanks. It would be great if we could coordinate so that I know what
progress you're making during this period.

> > ------
> >
> > Replace handle<> by object in as many public interfaces as possible.
> >
> > It may not be possible, but I hope to be able to avoid documenting
> > handle<>, upcast<>, downcast<>, base_type_traits<>, borrowed,
allow_null,
> > refcount. for the v2 release this way. The less documentation needed,
the
> > sooner v2 can be released and the less confusing everything will be.
> >

> Currently there is no direct way to create a handle<> from an object,
should
> this be implemented?

Not if we can avoid it. Part of my strategy is to avoid exposing handle<>
to users, at least for the time being.

> > -----
> >
> > Re-work the module interface using the work of Dave Hawkes so no module
> > objects need to be declared unless you're creating a submodule.
>
> I've been using this code for a while now, and merging with successive
> changes (that's why I noticed the object problem). If the basic structure
is
> now stable I'll do a final tidy up and submit what I have.

I think it is.

> > Documentation for already-implemented components:
> >
> >     object.hpp
> >     list.hpp
> >     long.hpp
> >     pointee.hpp
> >     Overview (Tutorial)
> >     Configuration (Building)
> >     Rationale (?)
> >     Bibliography
> >     Acknowledgements
> >     (optional) Overview of internals (Thanks Martin and Joel!)
> >

> I have a small embedding example that I've been working on occasionally
> which provides solutions for some of the (embedding) implementation
> questions that often arise, such as how to self import, multiple built-in
> boost modules in one executable, etc.

Absolutely, embedding is really important. I'm looking forward to getting
this into the docs.

-Dave