[C++-sig] Outstanding Jobs for v2 release

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Wed Jul 3 20:01:33 CEST 2002

I am really anxious to release v2 of Boost.Python to the world; it was
supposed to happen one month ago, but it looks like we're running a bit
behind on that schedule.

Here is a list of things I think need to be handled before the v2 release.
All new implementation of course implicitly involves testing and
documentation. I have labelled jobs which other people have volunteered
for; please let me know if I got something wrong, or if I've missed
anything crucial:

-----

Pickling support (thanks, Ralf!)

-----

Replacements for objects.hpp contents (thanks, Achim!)
This means: str, dict, tuple
Other types like: type, int_, slice, etc. are optional for the v2 release,
since they weren't covered in v1.

------

At least some of the builtin functions need to be implemented. For example,
len(). So far I have Dave Hawkes as having volunteered for this job. Dave,
please confirm.

------

Replace handle<> by object in as many public interfaces as possible.

It may not be possible, but I hope to be able to avoid documenting
handle<>, upcast<>, downcast<>, base_type_traits<>, borrowed, allow_null,
refcount. for the v2 release this way. The less documentation needed, the
sooner v2 can be released and the less confusing everything will be.

------

Some publicly-accessible facility for from_python conversion. See
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/c++-sig/1265634

I guess we are leaning towards using an extractor<> class at this point.

-----

Re-work the module interface using the work of Dave Hawkes so no module
objects need to be declared unless you're creating a submodule.

I would put this off, but it's a major change to the interface and can
actually result in a substantial usability improvement. I'd rather release
v2 with the change.

-----

File and namespace shuffling:
contents of boost::python::api to an api/ subdirectory
boost::python::arg_from_python and

-----
Documentation for already-implemented components:

    object.hpp
    list.hpp
    long.hpp
    pointee.hpp
    Overview (Tutorial)
    Configuration (Building)
    Rationale (?)
    Bibliography
    Acknowledgements
    (optional) Overview of internals (Thanks Martin and Joel!)

                  David Abrahams
      C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)               O__  ==
      Pythonista (http://www.python.org)              c/ /'_ ==
  resume: http://users.rcn.com/abrahams/resume.html  (*) \(*) ==