[Borgbackup] building borg backup for OS X Snow Leopard?

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Thu Mar 17 12:18:30 EDT 2016

> I'd like to be able to build it for the other OSes I am dealing with,
> but I run into trouble with libattr on both OS X Snow Leopart (10.6) and
> FreeBSD 10.1.  These are systems that just aren't practical up upgrade.

Maybe have a look at the Vagrantfile (and at the developer docs), maybe
you can get some hint there about what is missing / what went wrong:

https://github.com/borgbackup/borg/blob/master/Vagrantfile

http://borgbackup.readthedocs.org/en/stable/development.html

> I'm an experienced C, C++, and Python programmer, and I've looked into
> the extended attribute functions available from the problem systems so I
> know there is sufficient OS support.

OK.

>  What I don't know is how to
> configure libattr to build on these systems.  The usual ./config, make
> approach fails with:
>
>     ... features.h: No such file or directory

Looks like some header file is missing. Maybe that?:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29645238/what-is-the-purpose-of-features-h-header

> Can anyone provide more detail on how the standalone binaries for OS X
> 10.10 and FreeBSD 10.2 were built?

See the Vagrantfile, search for pyinstaller or borg.exe.

> I understand from the documentation
> they were packaged by pyinstaller, but my understanding is that you need
> a working application before you can package it up with pyinstaller.

Yes, a working python program is a requirement, so it first needs to
compile the C / Cython stuff and have all the libraries / headers
installed also.

--

GPG ID: FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393