[Borgbackup] Fwd: --exclude-from | --remote-path

Thomas Waldmann tw at waldmann-edv.de
Fri Jan 8 13:49:16 EST 2016

> Now I am getting somewhere. I learned that I needed to run my borg
> create from root in order to avoid numerous "Permission denied" errors.

Sure, if you have no permissions, you can't read some stuff.

Usually one uses backup tools in 2 ways:
a) as a normal user to backup that user's data (and nothing else)
b) as root to backup all or anything one wants

> However, the verbose output is too large and fast to be examined
> carefully. I tried both "> filename" and "| tee filename" redirects.
> Both create empty files. Is there some other way to get --verbose output
> into a file?

Use 2> as we emit log or user directed output on stderr.

We do not use stdout as sometimes we need stdout to transport actual
(binary) backup data.

--

GPG ID: FAF7B393
GPG FP: 6D5B EF9A DD20 7580 5747 B70F 9F88 FB52 FAF7 B393