[BangPypers] Wall street may embrace Python

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:32:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
> abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
> > abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/04/19/2114251/SEC-Proposes-Wall-Street-Transparency-Via-Python

> Whoa! what becomes law ? From what i can understand it primarily refers to
> the preferred mechanism of documenting complex waterfall provisions, in
> fiscal projections.

> For what ? Are we getting far too ahead of ourselves. Any ballpark
> quantification of "lot of Python programmer openings" ? This is in the
> field
> of fiscal modeling, not actual business applications (to the extent that
> they are often but not necessarily distinct

 That was a tongue-in-cheek response. You didn't see the smiley
 at  the end ? Btw, we are too early to guess-estimate any Python
 programmer openings, but I was just having some fun when I wrote
 about it. Surely, if SEC finally goes ahead and proposes Python
 as its primary language of choice for such models, it doesn't
 need much guess work to see that there will be demands for
 people with talent in business rules and Python.

> > I don't see a normal business transaction processing runtime getting
> influenced particularly. Python is a candidate for replacing what otherwise
> is likely to be done through excel spreadsheets and then resummarised using
> English.
>

> > >  If you don't think that as a huge business opportunity, I wonder
> > >  what kind of Python consultant you are ;-)
> > >

> >  Tweeters, please tweet this if you already haven't. Let us drive
> >  some traffic to python dot org which apparently is already
> >  seeing increased traffic since this hit /. (The "Slashdot effect" maybe
> ?)
> >
> >  I see this as a good boost for the language's popularity, if nothing
> >  else.
> >

> Are we getting way ahead by reading too much into this ?

 Yeah, maybe we are. But surely if you can't see the humour in
 trying to use an open source language in specifying the
 requirements of what was mostly very difficult to understand
 requirements (which enabled these bankers to sell toxic assets
 packaging them into very attractive market instruments), then
 so be it.

--Anand