[BangPypers] Wall street may embrace Python

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:35:37 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Dhananjay Nene
> <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
> >> I don't see a normal business transaction processing runtime getting
> > influenced particularly. Python is a candidate for replacing what
> otherwise
> > is likely to be done through excel spreadsheets and then resummarised
> using
> > English.[..]
>
> I'm not particularly clued in about the financial markets but once you
> specify something in Python, you'll have to have a (restricted)
> parser, then tie up the parsed executable structures into the rest of
> your application.

I think I understand what this is for. Let me give you an example. In a
grossly oversimplified scenario, lets say you borrow 1000 Rs. from Bank A at
10% and 2000 Rs. Bank B at 15% with the caveat that when you repay it back
you will first always repay Bank A (if you made enough money to do so) and
then you will repay Bank B (if you have anything left over). Now you want to
file a statement with SEBI (our local SEC) indicating your future cashflows.
Then you need to make it apparent and clear how and under what conditions
what monies will go to bank A and B. This "description" of your projected
fiscals will go into your SEC filings usually in English Legalese. This will
include what if you lose 500 rs, make no money, make 500, make 1500, make
2500 etc. (since it will influence each debt holder very differently).

The problem is the simple situation above gets terribly complex with more
parties (and usually equity players not just debtors in the picture). That
time the filing document which is a legal document can get really complex
and error prone.

What is being talked about here is that the filing documents will have parts
of section in Python instead of English. The likely time the program will be
run is when you are evaluating whether to invest in or get into other
business relationships with the company which filed these documents. The
python program can help you do your own what if analysis. (My conjecture is
that someone will ask a python developer to convert the python program into
an excel spreadsheet at this stage :) and conduct some what if analysis if
required.)

I do not see the candidate field of use for parser or to use this into some
other program at this stage (unless I am just invisible to the opportunities
here).