[XML-SIG] Status of elementtree?

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Jan 18 22:36:47 CET 2009

Hi,

Andrew Diederich wrote:
> Does anyone know how the status of elementtree is coming along?
> According to the website (http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm)
> 1.3 has been in alpha for a year and a half.  I like that elementtree
> is in the standard python library, and I don't want it to end up like
> PyXML.

Note that ElementTree 1.2.x is a very mature piece of software. If there's
no new release for years, that doesn't mean it's abandoned.

ET 1.3 is intended to fix API problems that older ET versions have
aggregated, very much in the way Py3 is intended to clean up the Python
language. So it's not meant as a bug fix, it's meant as a new thing that
breaks code. I think the main problem it currently has is that it fixes so
few things that it'd be hard to convince people to change their code to
support it. I expect that (plus the usual lack of time) to be the main
reason why Fredrik didn't finish it up yet. If he had more feedback about
it by users, he'd probably get around to pull another release. But as long
as there's no clear interest in following that path, I wouldn't expect 1.3
final any time soon.

Stefan