[XML-SIG] Status of elementtree?

Andrew Diederich andrewdied at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:57:11 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:

> Note that ElementTree 1.2.x is a very mature piece of software. If there's
> no new release for years, that doesn't mean it's abandoned.

Good feedback.

> ET 1.3 is intended to fix API problems that older ET versions have
> aggregated, very much in the way Py3 is intended to clean up the Python
> language. So it's not meant as a bug fix, it's meant as a new thing that
> breaks code. I think the main problem it currently has is that it fixes so
> few things that it'd be hard to convince people to change their code to
> support it. I expect that (plus the usual lack of time) to be the main
> reason why Fredrik didn't finish it up yet. If he had more feedback about
> it by users, he'd probably get around to pull another release. But as long
> as there's no clear interest in following that path, I wouldn't expect 1.3
> final any time soon.

That's exactly what I needed to know.  So as I'm looking at XML
libraries to use, ElementTree is a good place to start, since it'll be
around.  And if I need something a little more, lxml may be a good
migration path since it's similar, but has dependencies.

Thanks for the help.

--
Andrew Diederich