[XML-SIG] "encoding" argument to xml.dom.minidom.toxml()?

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Wed Jun 11 03:47:13 CEST 2008

I believe there are reasonable grounds for both Bill's and Stefan's
interpretation of the somewhat ambiguous documentation for the method,
and further, that the documentation would benefit from some
clarification one way or another.  I don't think Bill is correct in
thinking that is no other possible reason for having the encoding
parameter than to induce the method to use numeric character references
for those characters which don't directly fit in the selected encoding.
I have used similar methods which are known to raise an exception for
mismatched encodings/values to determine the most widely supported
encoding which adequately handles all the characters in a Unicode
string, and I've seen others do the same.  Of course, it's more
justifiable to rely on such behavior when the documentation makes it
clear exactly when the exceptions will be raised.  In this case, given
the current wording, it would technically be up to the whim of the
implementor.  In general, this page of the standard library
documentation could use a little cleanup (for example, the docs for the
next method refers to "the encoding argument" which - according to the
signature for the method - doesn't accept that argument at all).  Once
it's clear that there is consensus as to which behavior is the most
appropriate for toxml(), I'll be happy to contribute to a documentation
patch which will nail things down more clearly.

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com
mailto:bkline at rksystems.com