[XML-SIG] "encoding" argument to xml.dom.minidom.toxml()?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jun 11 01:32:53 CEST 2008

> I suspect there's a certain amount of unarticulated assumptions on both
> sides of this exchange.  I'm guessing that Bill might be thinking
> something like: "it's possible to represent any Unicode character in XML
> as &#<code-position-for character>"; and was hoping that the method
> would do just that for the non-ASCII characters if he asks for ASCII
> encoding.

Yep, that's what I was thinking.  I don't see any other reason to have
that parameter there.

The reason I asked on this list (instead of just committing the change
:-) is that I don't really know much about the grubby details of XML,
and wanted to engage some minds to consider possible nasty
side-effects of making that change.  For instance, would emitting
charrefs in a CDATA section or a Processing Instructions section
really be a good idea?

Bill