[XML-SIG] "encoding" argument to xml.dom.minidom.toxml()?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Jun 11 01:41:19 CEST 2008

> Hi,
>
> Bob Kline wrote:
> > Stefan is (if he even realizes that Bill might be thinking
> > this) himself possibly thinking "no way is the method going to do that
> > much work for the caller."
>
> No, I'm actually just saying that this is not a bug and maybe not even a
> missing feature. It's a design decision. Saying that the "encoding" keyword
> doesn't work, just because it detects the error that the user passed an
> encoding target that cannot represent the data, is pretty obviously wrong.

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm objecting to the fact that the
encoding target *can* represent the data, but the code isn't written
to do that.  That's the bug I'm pointing out.

If in fact the "encoding" argument is about "type-checking" the input
data against some character set, rather than being about the XML
character set encoding, then both the code and the documentation are
broken.  But that's a different bug, and to my way of thinking a much
less interesting and less useful way to perceive the situation.

Bill