[XML-SIG] PyXML for py 2.5

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Tue Feb 12 19:34:25 CET 2008

Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> it's hard to imagine Python becoming the premier language for XML
>> processing without support for document validation in the standard
>> library distribution.
>>

> That may be so, but if validation is just an
>
>     easy_install lxml
>
> and an updated import line away, I don't think that makes it that much
> less suited for the "premier language".

Well, I guess we could have said the same about PyXML when we adopted it
for a large project with one of my customers, but now we have a bunch of
critical processing tied to a package that's dead (despite the
"semi-official" on the WiKi page -- we don't have any useful place to
report a nasty bug we just ran into).  I'd be happier if the validation
support were folded in with the standard libraries.  I remember
attending a Python conference some years back, at which Guido seemed to
be expressing a certain amount of disdain for XML generally, so I'm
grateful for whatever we get.  But such a view held by the BDFL could
easily be seen as an obstacle in the path to the "premier language for
XML processing" goal.

--
Bob Kline
http://www.rksystems.com