[XML-SIG] PyXML for py 2.5

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 24 06:30:43 CET 2008

> If I understand the responses I got to my original question correctly,
> the SIG views the lxml package as the successor to PyXML, its former but
> now abandoned flagship for making Python the premier language for XML
> processing.  Is that right?  If so, I'm not sure that this WiKi  page
> makes that fact clear.  If I misunderstood the responses I got, well,
> it's hard to imagine Python becoming the premier language for XML
> processing without support for document validation in the standard
> library distribution.

I don't think Python is or should be the premier language to do XML
processing. If you have an application that is entirely about XML
processing, use Java.

If you have an application that integrates a lot of different things
(or perhaps just two or three of them), and XML processing is one,
you should consider Python. Then you should analyze your processing
needs, and pick a Python library that meets these needs.

If you found that validation is a processing need, I strongly recommend
that you re-evaluate your processing needs (whether you use Python
or not). IMHO, validation is much over-rated and over-used.

As for the flagship library to do XML processing: I still think that's
the standard library. It has always met my own processing needs, and
it comes as an included battery. Most applications of PyXML should
easily port to the standard library.

Regards,
Martin