[XML-SIG] PyXML for py 2.5

Stefan Behnel behnel at dvs.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Feb 12 18:47:58 CET 2008

> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> What about changing the "XML" link on the Python homepage to point to a
>> Wiki page? I think this one would come close:
>>
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonXml
>
> If I understand the responses I got to my original question correctly,
> the SIG views the lxml package as the successor to PyXML its former but
> now abandoned flagship

I didn't say that (and I'm far from speaking for "the XML SIG"). Although:

> for making Python the premier language for XML processing.

That comes close. :)

[ok, I admit: I'm biased]

> Is that right?  If so, I'm not sure that this WiKi  page
> makes that fact clear.

I just fixed it up a bit so that it makes clear what is in stdlib and what
people should preferably use.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonXml

I'm open for arguments, but so far, I would say it is backed by what I
tend to read on c.l.py and this list.

> If I misunderstood the responses I got, well,
> it's hard to imagine Python becoming the premier language for XML
> processing without support for document validation in the standard
> library distribution.

That may be so, but if validation is just an

    easy_install lxml

and an updated import line away, I don't think that makes it that much
less suited for the "premier language".

Stefan