[XML-SIG] _ inserted into built-ins

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:06:03 -0500

Currently, the symbol "_" is inserted into the built-in namespace
(indirectly) in five different places in PyXML, but it looks like the
insertion into the built-in namespace is not intentional.

The following modules define and use _ for I18N support:

  - xml.dom.MessageSource
  - xml.xpath.CoreFunctions
  - xml.xpath.MessageSource
  - xml.xslt.MessageSource
  - xml.xslt.XPatternParserBase

In each case, the module either calls gettext.install() or defines a
module-local _ function if either gettext can't be imported or the
message catalogs can't be found; in that case _ is only defined
locally and not inserted into the built-in namespace.

Insertion of _ into built-ins can easily mask errors in unrelated
code, and should generally be avoided for library-specific message
catalogs.  I'd like to create a single definition of _ in the
xml.FtCore module (since _ is being defined for the '4Suite' domain),
and import that in each of the modules that use it.

Are there any objections to this?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>