[XML-SIG] _ inserted into built-ins

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:42:06 -0500

Fred L. Drake, Jr. writes:
 > Insertion of _ into built-ins can easily mask errors in unrelated
 > code, and should generally be avoided for library-specific message
 > catalogs.  I'd like to create a single definition of _ in the
 > xml.FtCore module (since _ is being defined for the '4Suite' domain),
 > and import that in each of the modules that use it.

Looking at this further, there is only one set of message catalogs,
and that's for the xml.dom package.  Each package currently looks in
itself for catalogs.  The .po file there contains only DOM-related
messages.

Perhaps the others should simply define empty _ functions to use for
I18N marking, but not actually mess with gettext.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation