[XML-SIG] Python 1.5 support with PyXML 0.6.2/4Suite0.9.2

Alexandre Fayolle Alexandre.Fayolle@logilab.fr
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:16:58 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com wrote:

> > The xml.unicode package was dropped in PyXML 0.6.0 back in September,
> > so this isn't really news.  That was the major reason for the version
> > number change; 0.5.x was the last series compatible with Python 1.5.2,
> > and 0.6.x would require the Unicode type from Python 1.6/2.0.
>
> OK.  I guess I must have slept through that conversation.

I think I've found where the confusion came from (at least on my part). In
October, there was the announce of the PyXML 0.6.1 release:
http://www.python.org/pipermail/xml-sig/2000-October/005094.html

It states:
"Changes in this version, compared to 0.6.0:

        * Support for Python 1.5.2 was restored, as long as no character
          set recoding is required"

and

"Changes of version 0.6.0, compared to 0.5.x:
<snip>
        * The proprietary Unicode type has been removed. Instead,
PyXML now relies on the standard Python Unicode type. In turn, PyXML
0.6.0 will not work with Python 1.5. It has been tested with 2.0b1."

I (and maybe others) had overlooked the "as long as no character recoding
is required", and just kept the "support for python 1.5.2 was restored in
mind".

I'm sorry I caused this mess on the mailing list. What consoles me is that
it has enabled us to see what the state of the 1.5.2/2.0 migration really
was.

> If Alexander finds that PyXML 0.5.5.1 is fine and stable with 4Suite
> 0.9.2 and Python 1.5.2, I think all shall be well.  We can post simple
> instructions for the users given the status quo.

I confirm this.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
http://www.logilab.com
Narval is the first software agent available as free software (GPL).