[XML-SIG] PyXML in Python 1.6: Drawbacks

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:55:26 -0500

"Jérôme Marant" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Integrating as many modules as possible in Python 1.6 is just stupid.

Agreed.

> Every module has to be considered one after one.

Agreed.

> PyXML is the kind of module that should stay independant, for the
> following reasons:

PyXML is not a module. PyXML is a variety of modules in a very large
package. We have selected some of the most popular and static of those
modules, based primarily on industry standards, and integrated them into
Python 1.6.

> - XML and all related standards rapidly evolve

No, XML itself has not changed in three years. That's why we have had
XML support in for at least a year and a half...maybe longer. We are
just improving that support. Some of XML's related standards do change
rapidly. We are not providing support for most of those.

The calculus and the rich body of mathematical analysis to which it
gave rise made modern science possible, but it was the algorithm that
made the modern world possible.
	- The Advent of the Algorithm (pending), by David Berlinski