[XML-SIG] Inconsistent module names

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:19:28 -0400 (EDT)

wask@mcc.com writes:
 > Yet when I unzip the dowload, the files go into the ...\xml-0.5.1 directory.
 >
 > Thus, it takes some time to fgigure out to rename the directory to "xml".

  I think this is a really annoying thing; the Python package
directory is used as a general dumping ground for a bunch of stuff
other than the actual package code.  (README, documentation and demo
directories, etc.)
  I think the right approach is to have a distribution directory that
contains the package directory and the other stuff.  For those of use
that use a CVS checkout named "xml", we'd get something like:

     xml/demos/
         docs/
	 README
	 xml/

  The packaged distribution should end up like this:

     xml-VERSION/demos/
		docs/
		README
		xml/

  This is the way the distutils tree is laid out (in part because I
pressured Greg to do it that way;).
  Does anyone else agree?  Alternatives?

  -Fred

--