[XML-SIG] Inconsistent module names

Scott Cotton scott@chronis.pobox.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 17:48:12 -0400

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 05:19:28PM -0400, Fred L. Drake wrote:

| wask@mcc.com writes:
|  > Yet when I unzip the dowload, the files go into the ...\xml-0.5.1 directory.
|  >
|  > Thus, it takes some time to fgigure out to rename the directory to "xml".
|
|   I think this is a really annoying thing; the Python package
| directory is used as a general dumping ground for a bunch of stuff
| other than the actual package code.  (README, documentation and demo
| directories, etc.)
|   I think the right approach is to have a distribution directory that
| contains the package directory and the other stuff.  For those of use
| that use a CVS checkout named "xml", we'd get something like:
|
|      xml/demos/
|          docs/
| 	 README
| 	 xml/
|
|   The packaged distribution should end up like this:
|
|      xml-VERSION/demos/
| 		docs/
| 		README
| 		xml/
|
|   This is the way the distutils tree is laid out (in part because I
| pressured Greg to do it that way;).
|   Does anyone else agree?  Alternatives?

Absolutely.  I've switched back and forth between both
repository organization types for several projects at work,
and separating the source from the README, etc. has turned
out to be *much* better in practice.  What it comes down to
for me is that the source is always a distinct category when
compared to all the non-source parts of a project, so it
always works well when there are any non-source files in a
repository.   The other way just confuses the issue of what
the source when browsing the directory structure of a
repository.

scott