[XML-SIG] Re: auto-generating a DTD

Bill Barnhill spiritware@yahoo.com
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:35:38 -0800 (PST)

This is my first post in this group, and I am new to XML as well, but
it seems to me that the main reason for DTD is for validation of XML
tag structure. I would imagine that most RL XML objects (Objects->root
element? I'm not sure of the right term but I mean the object an XML
file represents) will have varying tags depending on the individual
file.

For example not all <BuyablePC> elements will have a <Modem> element.

If I am off base on the above, please correct me. :)

On another topic: I am jumping feet first into XML with a person who
wants me to explore the idea of setting up their website to accept
credit cards, without going through one of the expensive online
middlemen store front sites.  I am trying to decide between OTP and
OFX. Could someone out there tell me how to decide? If this is
something I can get help from the bank or credit card company on, I'd
like to know that as well.

I've downloaded the std specs, but it seems like SGML in that it's
designed to cover EVERYTHING. Ideal would be an example of a site that
use OTP or OFX.

Thanks for the help,
Bill