[XML-SIG] Re: auto-generating a DTD

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:15:53 -0600

Bill Barnhill wrote:

> This is my first post in this group, and I am new to XML as well, but
> it seems to me that the main reason for DTD is for validation of XML
> tag structure. I would imagine that most RL XML objects (Objects->root
> element? I'm not sure of the right term but I mean the object an XML
> file represents) will have varying tags depending on the individual
> file.
>
> For example not all <BuyablePC> elements will have a <Modem> element.

That is why DTDs allow optional elements.

> On another topic: I am jumping feet first into XML with a person who
> wants me to explore the idea of setting up their website to accept
> credit cards, without going through one of the expensive online
> middlemen store front sites.  I am trying to decide between OTP and
> OFX. Could someone out there tell me how to decide? If this is
> something I can get help from the bank or credit card company on, I'd
> like to know that as well.

OTP and OFX are financial interchange protocols. You can't use them if
your bank or credit card doesn't. You should see what they use and conform
to it.
 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

If you spend any time administering Windows NT, you're far too familiar
with the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) which displays the cause of the
crash and gives some information about the state of the system when
it crashed.  -- "Microsoft Developer Network Magazine"