[XML-SIG] State of the world

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:40:41 -0400 (EDT)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
>I think the clarification needs further clarification. :-)

	Good point.

>The DTD module is part of xmlproc already, so it will have to be
>distributed separately in the sense that it's distributed separately
>from xmlproc. (Unless you plan to include xmlproc, which would be OK,
>but what you've said so far doesn't indicate that you do.)

	It hadn't occurred to me, actually, though I wouldn't be
against it.  We already have low-end and high-end solutions;
xmllib.py is included with Python 1.5 for people who want a pure
Python solution, and xmltok is for people who want speed and are
willing/able to compile the extension module for it.  What would
xmlproc buy that the other don't--validation, probably?

>If people think a module that only parses DTDs, delivers DTD events
>and provides a DTD-related object structure would be useful, I could
>take this piece out of xmlproc and distribute it separately.

	xmldtd.py seems fairly independent of xmlproc (at least from
my superficial look at the code), so it would probably be a good
idea.  We could provide parser subclasses that assemble an object
representing the DTD as they parse (if xmltok is willing).

	For the weekend, I'll try to work on the XML-HOWTO, hopefully
adding enough content that it'll be worth posting as a rough draft.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a