[XML-SIG] State of the world

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 15:32:21 -0400

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

>         It hadn't occurred to me, actually, though I wouldn't be
> against it.  We already have low-end and high-end solutions;
> xmllib.py is included with Python 1.5 for people who want a pure
> Python solution, and xmltok is for people who want speed and are
> willing/able to compile the extension module for it.  What would
> xmlproc buy that the other don't--validation, probably?

We should probably do some benchmarks and interface comparison. xmllib
came first, and was a great contribution to the Python library. But it may
or may not be the best package to take us into the future. I haven't
looked at its native interface since the early days because I always use
SAX (with whatever parser is around). Since native interfaces probably
aren't that interesting, we should just figure out what gives the best SAX
performance (or can be tweaked to).

"Perpetually obsolescing and thus losing all data and programs every 10
years (the current pattern) is no way to run an information economy or
a civilization." - Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog
http://www.wired.com/news/news/culture/story/10124.html