[Web-SIG] Announcing bobo

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jun 16 18:39:02 CEST 2009

Hey,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Etienne
Robillard<robillard.etienne at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't care about '97, pretty much.

Those who do not learn from history are destined to repeat it. :)

> I think that if this Jim guy has lots of experience then at least he
> could not pretend that other people works are made by/for geniuses,
> which is probably untrue anyway. There's other ways to advertise a open source project

I think you misread him. He said it the goal is for it to be simple,
he didn't say other people's works are complicated. Besides; I think
Jim would be the first to admit that some of his other works are
actually a bit harder to understand for other people. Zope 2 and Zope
3, which Jim both designed, are considered by many to be more than a
little bit intimidating.

> One method
> is to discriminate other projects, thus making it's own work appears
> better in some ways or another. Of courses this has nothing to do in
> being a genius.. You don't have to be a genius to copy-and-paste things.

You're reading things that Jim didn't write anywhere as far as I know.
He doesn't compare Bobo with anything else. He just states what the
goal is. What he does say is that he built Bobo on other people's
work, giving it credit.

Regards,

Martijn