[Web-SIG] Status code, status header

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue Aug 31 05:01:22 CEST 2004

After a little thought, I'm -1 on a status header, even with
email.Message.  Mostly because at some point I believe Alan asked about
what to do about a Location header, thinking in terms of CGI behavior
where if you don't provide the status header the server guesses --
either doing 200, or 304 if there's a Location header to a remote
location, or an internal redirect otherwise.  WSGI explicitly doesn't
allow that, but it's a clearer requirement when the application has to
explicitly say what the status code is.  If status was a header, I think
we'd have to deal with a situation when that header was missing.

I'm also +1 on turning status into an integer.  I think it makes things
a little simpler, and those message strings are just a distraction.  The
final server can put that string in ("200 OK", etc) if it wants to, but
if it doesn't it doesn't matter.

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org