[Web-SIG] Status code, status header

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Aug 31 17:29:09 CEST 2004

At 10:01 PM 8/30/04 -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
>After a little thought, I'm -1 on a status header, even with email.Message.

I think email.Message is also dead, due to its absence in Python versions
prior to 2.2.

>I'm also +1 on turning status into an integer.  I think it makes things a
>little simpler, and those message strings are just a distraction.  The
>final server can put that string in ("200 OK", etc) if it wants to, but if
>it doesn't it doesn't matter.

I'm still -1 on this, for the reasons stated previously.  I might be
convinced if you can show me that a significant number of popular servers
already have the necessary table(s) to do this with; e.g. Twisted, ZServer,
Apache (CGI/FastCGI), mod_python, etc.

In theory, the "reason-phrase" can be null.  In practice, I wonder.  Also,
I don't think the message strings are "just a distraction": they clarify
the intent of the code that contains them.