[SciPy-user] optimize.leastsq crashs my interpreter

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Fri Jul 7 11:01:46 EDT 2006

Hans Georg Krauthäuser wrote:
> Ed Schofield schrieb:
>
>> Jelle Feringa / EZCT Architecture & Design Research wrote:
>>
>>> Someone out there, who can try it on a windows box?
>>>
>>> 	Sure Hans,
>>> 	I've tried your problem with the scipy/numpy versions compiled for
>>> the 	enthon 1.0.0b3 edition, raises the same problem you've described.
>>>
>>> 	I'm sorry to say so, but I cannot avoid but to get the feeling that
>>> right now scipy is in a pretty poor state on windows...
>>> 	Is it reasonable to assume scipy's win32 binaries are of lesser
>>> quality, compared to Linux?
>>>

>> Well, I don't know of any SciPy developers who use win32, so it does get
>> less testing. The compiler toolchains available for win32 are probably
>> also of a poorer quality than for Linux, Solaris etc. But the binaries
>> are built from a near-identical code base on all platforms, and indeed
>> your code works fine on the latest 'official' win32 release of scipy
>> (0.4.9).
>>

> Did I get that right? My code works for you on XP with scipy 0.4.9?

Yes, it works fine on my Pentium 4 with XP SP2, Python 2.4, NumPy 0.9.8,
SciPy 0.4.9.  What's your setup?

> I *have* 0.4.9 (from official binary distribution) and the interpreter
> crashes.
>
> I'm confused...

Hmmm ... it could be an ATLAS problem.  What's your processor?  I built
the SciPy 0.4.9 binaries against Pearu's ATLAS binaries for Pentium 2,
thinking that this would give maximum compatibility ...

Or perhaps it's something else.  Could someone with this problem please
post a backtrace?

-- Ed