[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plans .....

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Mar 16 05:53:25 EDT 2020

> On 15 Mar 2020, at 22:04, Christopher Barker <pythonchb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 4:39 AM Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com <mailto:ronaldoussoren at mac.com>> wrote:
> AFAIK the only difference for this discussion is the “Python.app” trick, and that can be accomplished outside of a framework build as well (but currently is not).
>
> Two other differences:
> - A framework build is easier to integrate into applications that are built using Xcode (just drop the framework into list of used frameworks)
> When would that come into play? If you are developing an application that embeds the python interpreter? OR if you are using XCode as your IDE for developing a Python App?

That’s something you can use to embed Python into an ObjC app.

> - py2app currently doesn’t work properly with a Unix build
>
> But that could be fixed, yes? (And I think PyInstaller already does work with a unix build)

Sure. Fixing this isn’t too hard, although it will take more time than I’d like due to the way the code is structured.

> I *think* this means that a unix-style build with the python.app "trick" would be appropriate for use in distributions that are otherwise not "mac native" -- e.g. conda, homebrew.
>
> As to whether a style build would be OK for the python.org <http://python.org/> installer, I'm not so sure. That may still be a candidate for a Framework build --it sure does make installation/uninstalling easier than scatter files all over /usr/local.

Right. That’s an important consideration given that macOS doesn’t have a proper native package manager, just an installer.

> Of course, to make any of this happen, someone with the autoconf skills needs to have the time and motivation to do it. I'm not that person (though who knows how far I would have gotten if I'd spent the time I've spent talking about this actually giving it a try :-) )
>
> So we'll see. Maybe there's no one that both wants this done and has the time and skills to do it -- such is the world of open source.

Agreed. In the end everyone working on Python is a volunteer.

Ronald

—

Twitter / micro.blog: @ronaldoussoren
Blog: https://blog.ronaldoussoren.net/