[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plans .....

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 11:57:02 EDT 2020

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 1:09 AM Georg Seifert <georg.seifert at gmx.de> wrote:

> > - A framework build is easier to integrate into applications that are
> built using Xcode (just drop the framework into list of used frameworks)
> > When would that come into play? If you are developing an application
> that embeds the python interpreter? OR if you are using XCode as your IDE
> for developing a Python App?
> >
> I’m using that in my app (written in ObjectiveC) to be able to run python
> scripts inside the app and to load plugins that are written in python but
> don’t bring there own python interpreter.

Perfect -- and that's using Python more as a "library". So providing a
Framework build is a good thing for these uses. Though I wonder if there's
a need for a pre-built one with an installer --wouldn't folks using XCode
be able to built it themselves? But either way, this isn't a use case for
conda, or brew or ....

Also, there's no reason that a "PythonFramework" couldn't be a
separate package in conda -- you just wouldn't want to have all the other
Python-y stuff depending on it. If you are embedding the interpreter, you
are managing all the the dependencies anyway.

Now someone just needs the time to do it :-(

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD

Python Language Consulting