[Pythonmac-SIG] Building plans .....

Jack Jansen jack.jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Mar 16 18:54:58 EDT 2020

> but "conda" is a package management tool, a bit like yum or apt in the Linux world, or Brew, for that matter. except that:
>
> * It is platform independent -- it attempts to work the same way on all all platforms to the degree possible.
> * It provides management of isolated "environments", so you can have a different collection of software and libraries, all with a different combination of version on the same system, isolated from one another.

So how does conda handle things that must be installed in “special” locations on some platforms? For example, if you install some package that contains a kernel driver, undoubtedly on windows this’ll have to go somewhere deep down in c:\system32 or something.

Because in a way Python on the mac (if you want to use a framework/app/bundle Python) is like that: it has some platform-specific installation requirements (that bits of it go into /Library/Frameworks and other bits in /Application), and in the end you setup a few symlinks in the conda bin directory (or the conda per-environment bin directory, or however that works) and for a conda user the situation will be exactly the same on Mac as on Linux…..