[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Feb 4 23:11:08 CET 2009

On 4 Feb, 2009, at 1:14, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Kevin Walzer wrote:
>> My development is of GUI apps, and I like being able to double-
>> click on a Python script and have it do the Right Thing--that is,
>> launch as a foreground GUI process in Tkinter.
>
> I think it's clear that lot's of us want that. the question is, will
> the proposal break that?
>
> One option is that the GUI toolkits run the code to promote
> themselves to a full GUI app. In which case, I think you're above
> scenario would work. OF course, ALL the gui toolkits would have to
> add that code, but if they did, would that meet your needs?

If GUI toolkits automaticly promote themselves to full GUI apps you
can no longer create an agent-style application in Python. Or at least
not without introducing another API that disables the promotion, said
API would be non-standard and therefore not easily findable.

I haven't read the recent history of this list to find the thread that
triggered this thread, but from the bits I have read it seems that
there is one major reason for wanting this feature: when you use
appscript from a non-gui script you might end up with a rocket icon in
your dock because appscript calls an API that promotes the application
to GUI status.  Adding the LSUIElement key to the Info.plist file is
basically a workaround for an unwanted (and probably avoidable)
feature caused by some Carbon call(s) in the appscript
implementation.  The way to fix that issue is not to add LSUIElement
to the Info.plist, but to look for a way to avoid calling the API(s)
that cause the promotion to full GUI status.

I will look at appscript, but not before Pycon.

Ronald