[Pythonmac-SIG] Should Python.app be an LSUIElement = 1 app?

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Wed Feb 4 02:27:27 CET 2009

Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> Bill, the behavior that you experiencing is the expected behavior of
> Python, albeit not what you want in this instance. Rather than re-doing
> the long-standing infractucture of Python on the Mac, wouldn't it be
> better to find the code that is causing the undesired "rocket launch"
> and fix it, or at least work around it? Woudn't a non-framework,
> Unix-style build of Python avoid these issues altogether?

It would, and that's actually the "long-standing infrastructure of
Python on the Mac" that you refer to.  The Python.app formulation is
recent, and not yet well-enough debugged.

Try setting LSUIElement in your Python.app's Info.plist, and report back
with what's broken.  I think you'll find double-clicking on UI apps
works just fine.

Though I also think that launching by double-clicking on .py files is a
mistaken binding.  It should probably bring up an editor.

Bill