[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac OS-X 10.5 and "two icons bouncing in the dock" problem

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Aug 14 23:41:36 CEST 2009

Hi Bill,

Am Freitag, 14. August 2009 schrieb Bill Janssen:
> I guess the question is, why two dock icons?  I'm seeing something
> perhaps similar; I have a Python-Cocoa app that when started will cause
> one of those pop-up windows, "App quit unexpectedly, do you want to
> submit a bug report to Apple", and the crash report shows that a
> multi-threaded program crashed in thread 0 with SEGV attempting to
> access location 0.  But the app seems to be running, just fine.  When I
> poked at it a bit more, it looks like using "open" or double-click to
> launch the app somehow causes two instances to start (fork, somewhere?),
> and one of them is bad.  This is with Xcode 3.1.3 and OS X 10.5, but no
> Qt, no Python-2.6.2.

Yes, Mac OS-X desktop services looks flaky from certain perspectives (yours
and mine ;)

I did found a fishy smelling fork in pyinstaller bootstrap code, and
eliminated it already, but still no cigar :(. This is my first project on
the Mac and I'm pretty fed up from puny sources, combined with low S/N
ratio when it comes to technical issues (apart from this thread at least).

Could you give me some hints how you debug such things?

Thanks,
Pete