[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac OS-X 10.5 and "two icons bouncing in the dock" problem

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Aug 14 18:06:28 CEST 2009

I guess the question is, why two dock icons?  I'm seeing something
perhaps similar; I have a Python-Cocoa app that when started will cause
one of those pop-up windows, "App quit unexpectedly, do you want to
submit a bug report to Apple", and the crash report shows that a
multi-threaded program crashed in thread 0 with SEGV attempting to
access location 0.  But the app seems to be running, just fine.  When I
poked at it a bit more, it looks like using "open" or double-click to
launch the app somehow causes two instances to start (fork, somewhere?),
and one of them is bad.  This is with Xcode 3.1.3 and OS X 10.5, but no
Qt, no Python-2.6.2.

Bill