[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac OS-X 10.5 and "two icons bouncing in the dock" problem

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sat Aug 15 00:16:44 CEST 2009

Anything having to do with Finder or the Dock (or Activity Monitor, for
that matter) seems to be somewhat over-simplified and mysterious.  "Not
responding", in Activity Monitor, for instance, seems to be due to an
undocumented window server probe of processes marked somehow as
applications, for which Python has no built-in support.

I find Thread Viewer helpful in looking at programs.  But even
better is to build your own version of the system Python (2.5.1) with
debugging symbols, and use that instead of /usr/bin/python (or, of
course, you could use a different version of Python entirely).  Then you
can point gdb at that running application, and using the Python gdb
macros, http://wiki.python.org/moin/DebuggingWithGdb, you can see
exactly what's going on in all the threads.

I don't use pyinstaller, either.  I just build a standard OS X install
bundle by hand, and then as I develop just change the contents of of the
Resource subdirectory.

Bill