[Pythonmac-SIG] building non-Framework Python 2.4.1 on Tiger

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed May 4 21:29:02 CEST 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 2:15 PM, Gary Poster wrote:

> On May 4, 2005, at 12:19 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On May 4, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Gary Poster wrote:
>>

>>> Hi.  I found Bob Ippolito's TigerPython24Fix but that's only for a
>>> framework Python 2.4.1--I need to build a non-Framework Python 2.4.1
>>> from source.  I guess if I were zen-ful about Mac packages I'd be
>>> able to figure out the necessary changes from the download...but I'm
>>> not.  Could anyone help me know what I need to change?
>>>

>> Building Python 2.4.1 *on* Tiger has no issues, because I fixed
>> that before Python 2.4.1 was released.
>>
>> Python 2.4.1 built on Panther, and moved over to Tiger, *does* have
>> issues, and that's what TigerPython24Fix takes care of (along with
>> another issue that's only relevant to the framework installer
>> package).
>>

> Thanks for the reply.  Building 2.4.1 on Tiger has issues for me, at
> least.  Here is the problem I'm seeing.  After running the following:
>
> tar xvzf Python-2.4.1.tgz
> cd Python-2.4.1
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/gary/tmp/
> make
>
> I then get this output from make:
<ugly stuff snipped>

Try setting the MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable to 10.4.

Anything you build on Tiger isn't going to work prior to that anyway,
so setting this can't hurt anything.  I tried building 2.4.1 again
and it worked just fine:

  % sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.4
BuildVersion:   8A428

% cc --version
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0 (GCC) 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple Computer,
Inc. build 4061)

% echo $MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET
10.4

If you set this, and it still doesn't work, there's something else
wrong with your configuration that I can't reproduce, so you're on
your own if that is the case.

I'm not really sure why you're trying not to build a framework Python
in the first place, there's no particularly good reason why you'd
want a non-framework Python around.