[Pythonmac-SIG] building non-Framework Python 2.4.1 on Tiger

Gary Poster gary at modernsongs.com
Thu May 5 01:15:56 CEST 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> % cc --version
> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0 (GCC) 4.0.0 20041026 (Apple
> Computer, Inc. build 4061)

If I were a more experienced Mac user, I'd probably blush: the
problem was that I had assumed my Tiger upgrade would also
automatically upgrade my XCode installation.

So, for history, if you see symptoms like mine, that means you need
to upgrade XCode.  After doing so, all appears to be good so far.

> I'm not really sure why you're trying not to build a framework
> Python in the first place, there's no particularly good reason why
> you'd want a non-framework Python around.

I'm a Zope developer.  I often have multiple Pythons around, one (or
sometimes more) for each large project.  Framework builds help
nothing for Zope, and friends have scared me off from using them
except to replace the main Apple Python (which I just did sucessfully
with your MacPython and TigerPython24Fix--thanks!).  Maybe that's
misplaced fear, but working among developers on other platforms, its
(mildly) convenient if our buildouts all use the same buildout dance.

Thanks for your help, and thanks to all those who replied.

Gary