[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing PyObjC via PackMan

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick at usa.xerox.com
Thu Jul 31 11:34:55 EDT 2003

> Ah, yes, all the installers have this problem: supporting documents
> like examples and documentation aren't installed.

I hate to nitpick..

Automated Installation Applications / Tools, I think would be a better
description...

Installers makes me think of applications like the Vise installer package...
Which usually takes care of both the binary apps, and examples, etc...

> I think we need to do two things about this:
> - for the future, think of a way this could be added to distutils.
> - for now, we need a way to give users who do a binary install of a
> package a way to get access to the examples. One way would be
> to create
> an extra installer, pyobjc_examples-1.0b2-binary, that would put the
> examples and any other interesting stuff you don't get with a binary
> install into /Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras.
>
> Does this sound like a workable plan?

Yes, similiar to my thinking... Except for another minor nitpick...

I would suggest:

PyObjC_Doc_And_Examples_1.0b2-binary  instead...  Yes, it's a longer name,
but would you normally expect to see the documentation in with the Example
code?

		- Benjamin