[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing PyObjC via PackMan

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick at usa.xerox.com
Thu Jul 31 11:30:36 EDT 2003

> > I also wanted to take a look at PyObjC - and since it was
> an item in
> > PacMan, I
> > grabbed it. Grabbed both the library and the source
> >
> > 'Cept I don't know where it went. I'd like to try some of the
> > examples... but I
> > don't know where they are.
> Possibly in /tmp, they are downloaded to /tmp and I don't know if
> PacMan removes the downloaded files after installation.
>
> The PyObjC examples/documentation are not installed using distutils,
> and I assume this means they are not installed by PacMan. You could
> download the PyObjC installer for Python 2.2, the .DMG also
> contains a
> folder containing the Examples and Documentation. That should
> work just
> fine with Python 2.3.

That's a good work around...

But it does not solve the problem.

Think of it as a matter of bandwidth...

Before:

	1) Download XX KBytes ...  The Disk image installer....
	2) Run the installer...
	3) Delete the .DMG

Now:

	1) Run PackMan
	2) Install PyObjC  (Download XX KBytes)
	3) Realize the the examples, and Docs aren't there
	4) Go the PyObjC Web Site
	5) Try to find Mac 2.3 package...  Fall back to 2.2
	6) Download XX KBytes (x2!!)
	7) Manually copy the examples and Documentation...

I think the answer is to have PackMan support Documentation & Example
installation....

We're now making it harder for the user / developer and causing them to
download and install
almost twice as much...  (Well, technically not twice as much...  But it
sounds good)

One possible work around is to add a seperate entry for the Documents and
example code...

i.e.:

PyObjC Module						999999 KBytes
PyObjC Documentation & Examples (Optional)	  2222 KBytes

			- Benjamin