[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython logo

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Fri Jul 25 16:42:57 EDT 2003

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 03:07  PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Let's please take the logo discussion to a different thread, so it
> doesn't overwhelm
> the rest of the website discussion.
>
> On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 23:45 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Ippolito
> wrote:
>
>> I don't think that strange typography ( re: http://www.python.org/ )
>> would work, what would you suggest as an alternative?  What's wrong
>> with the snake?  Windows has the snake, pygame has a snake :)
>
> The strange typography has one showstopper problem for me: you can't
> use it for the program
> icon. We need something that can be used on the website, the program
> icon and all sorts
> of related icons (documents, helper apps) and probably more eventually
> (installer backdrop,
> etc).
>
> *If* we go for something snake-y I insist it be an "Apple Snake", i.e.
> something that
> looks like a real snake, or real snakeskin, or some such. The 4-color
> Windows snake is
> simply too ugly for words.

I think making it look like a real snake would be a bad thing - I'm not
even allowed to leave my Python pocket reference face up at home
because the snake on the cover creeps out my wife. Folks, if we use a
real snake icon, I may be forbidden to use Python on my PowerBook
because she uses it too. ^_^; Of course, she actually likes the
cartoony snake - she thinks it's cute too. ;-)

> I agree that the current cartoon-weight has had it's time. I think my
> preference would
> be to update it to an "Apple 16 Tonne weight", if you get my drift,
> but I'm open to any good design (and, as always, I'll defer to the
> majority anyway).
>
> Note that the fact that the connection to Python is thin for many
> people isn't necessarily a problem: it's more important that it's used
> consistently. After all, what's the connection between Tcl/Tk and a
> quill? Photoshop Elements and a sunflower? Retrospect and a cube?

cube = box = packing = archive = backup (could also be memory
spaces/boxes )

sunflower = warm, colorful, springtime = happy memories, good times =
photos of good times = photo editor

quill = writing = 'scripting' = scripting language = Tcl/Tk

At least those would be MY guesses. =)

In all seriousness, though, Mac apps tend to be pretty good about
having icons that associate themselves somehow with the program they
are for. I can't find an icon on my dock right now which I can say
doesn't give any indication, be it a symbol or letter, of what app it
belongs too. Anyways. For Python, I think a cartoonish, non-creepy and
non-threatening snake is the best bet, although you could go with an
Applescript-style script icon with the snake icon below it, or
something like that... that brings the idea home just as well. Or a
snake with a quill in his mouth? ^_^

Thanks,

Kevin