[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython logo

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Jul 26 01:07:13 EDT 2003

Let's please take the logo discussion to a different thread, so it
doesn't overwhelm
the rest of the website discussion.

On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 23:45 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> I don't think that strange typography ( re: http://www.python.org/ )
> would work, what would you suggest as an alternative?  What's wrong
> with the snake?  Windows has the snake, pygame has a snake :)

The strange typography has one showstopper problem for me: you can't
use it for the program
icon. We need something that can be used on the website, the program
icon and all sorts
of related icons (documents, helper apps) and probably more eventually
(installer backdrop,
etc).

*If* we go for something snake-y I insist it be an "Apple Snake", i.e.
something that
looks like a real snake, or real snakeskin, or some such. The 4-color
Windows snake is
simply too ugly for words.

I agree that the current cartoon-weight has had it's time. I think my
preference would
be to update it to an "Apple 16 Tonne weight", if you get my drift, but
I'm open to any good design (and, as always, I'll defer to the majority
anyway).

Note that the fact that the connection to Python is thin for many
people isn't necessarily a problem: it's more important that it's used
consistently. After all, what's the connection between Tcl/Tk and a
quill? Photoshop Elements and a sunflower? Retrospect and a cube?
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -